What to use?

What to use? I have been asked several times when to use what – although there is no clear answer, here are some tips:
*Blogs* – Blogs are ongoing individual postings with the ability to take comments from readers. This is a great way to journal, reflect or get input.

*WIKIs* – are online editable pages available to anyone given permission. Usually you can attach files to wiki pages and there is a comment page connected. This is good for collaboration. It does not fit the journal model as well as it does a portfolio / archive model. Of course, it is also great for multiple editors of a single document.

*Forums* – threaded discussions. Can be used for the same as above. They individualize each posting, but in a threaded manner unlike blogs
which are sequential.

*Social networks* – combine all or some of the above with many added features. If you are ready to launch your students into the cybersphere
of learning, this is the way to go. I like Ning – but it still does not have a wiki module although the blog and forums are great.

*Course Management Systems* – also combines the above features and adds the ability to quiz etc. It is an online class. My favorite is Moodle
(at the moment). Students are part of a class and can use the forums, wikis, as well as complete assignments. I do not like the blogging
feature presently being used.

There are hybrids of all the above – and more appear each day. The key is to know what your goals are for each project.
Is it your students first adventure into online learning? do you simply want journals? do you wish to attach artifacts? do you want to actually hold your class online with assessment and all? do you want to use these in a more social atmosphere? Do you have the ability to pay for a service or to host it “in house”?

Turbo Tagger